BACK TO SCHOOL STYLE | WARDROBE TRANSFORMATION
In the mists of all of the summer fun before it's time to go back to school, some worry about how their summer closet is going to survive during the school year, therefore resulting in an annual back to school shopping spree. During this brutal time of torture to your wallet, you spend over $200 on new clothes when you could just take your summer clothes and transform them into a whole new look and wardrobe that is perfect for the new school year.
STEP ONE: Identify key layering pieces
- flowy tanks
- lightweight cardigans
- chino (khaki) shorts
- satin shorts
- slip dresses
- printed rayon tees
WHAT TO DO WITH THE GO-TO'S:
1) Chino shorts were one of my absolute favorite styles of shorts to wear this summer. They were simple, yet stylish, and were wearable for any occasion. Since I do not want to give up wearing these shorts just because the weather man tells me I should bundle up, I have decided that I am going to wear them with another favorite of mine: a flowy tank. Layer a flowy tank top under a lightweight cardigan, belt it around you waist and pair with a pair of your favorite chino shorts. Instead of looking drab with two flowy layers, the belt creates a pulled together effect that transforms your outfit from drab to fab.
Shorts: J.Crew \ Tank: TopShop \ Belt: Fossil \ Cardigan: H&M
2) Throughout the duration of this summer, I worked at my fabulous job as an employee and stylist at Ootra. Along with learning many aspects about the fashion world, I also took on a great love for slip dresses. Since I have a giant spot in my heart for slip dresses, I decided that I was going to wear them to school. Take your favorite slip dress and throw your casual summer printed tee over it and add your lightweight scarf (preferably in a solid print) and throw on your worn in sandals. By adding layers, it allows for a comfortable and stylish outfit that is also appropriate for your (sucky) school dress code.
Slip dress: Free People \ Top: TopShop \ Scarf: Alexander McQueen
STEP TWO: Transforming your summer staples to school AC appropriate outfits
- floral printed fit and flare dress
- flowy shift dress
- lightweight tights (black and grey)
- open toed or close toed booties
- thin belt
- lightweight sweater
WHAT TO DO WITH THE GO-TO'S:
1) Throughout the entire summer season, I lived in my shift dresses. Not only are they the most comfortable piece in my wardrobe, but they are also so versatile. Though shift dresses may scream "SUMMER" to some of you, shift dresses scream "ALL YEAR AROUND" to me. By pairing a flowy shift dress with a pair of tights and booties, you transform your outfit into a fall appropriate style. Since most shift dresses have thicker straps, there is no need for an extra layer on top (unless you're freezing or your school dress code calls for it, in which case: pair your shift dress with your favorite comfy cardigan, and belt it around you waist-- this will give the allusion of a smaller waist line in addition to making you look pulled together instead of looking like a bag).
Dress: Marni \ Tights: H&M \ Booties: Sam Edelman
2) On those lazy summer days, lounging around in soft tanks and shorts was a fan favorite. Some mornings when you wake up at 6am (which, because of school will be happening soon), all you want to do is dress comfortable. Though comfort is awesome, there is no need to sacrifice your style. By pairing your soft tank tops with a pair of trouser pants and booties, you're able to stay comfortable and cozy at the same time. Along with comfort, this outfit takes all of 2 seconds to complete, and you're done... YAY for being able to sleep in a little longer in the morning.
Booties: Nasty Gal \ Tank: Free People \ Trousers: Rag & Bone \ Necklace: Brandy Melville
Though going back to school may be a drab, it should not effect your wardrobe. With easy ways to transform your summer staples into school appropriate outfits, you're able to achieve BEST DRESSED without breaking the bank.