ALARM READY STYLE: 6AM EDITION
I don't know about you, but the one thing that I am dreading more than going back to school is hearing my alarm annoyingly disrupt me from my dreams about Dave Franco at 6:00 in the morning. Not only does the bothersome sound of rapid beeping put me in a rage, but it forces me to not want to look anywhere close to decent and instead results in me putting on pajama like attire for school.
Though waking up at an ungodly hour is horrible (and should be illegal), there are ways to look presentable and fashionable no matter how tired and lazy you really are.
Step No.1: Focus on Your Staples
Building an outfit when you're tired and in a rush can be overwhelming. So the key to creating a fashionable outfit in such a short amount of time is picking a table piece in your wardrobe to build around.
RULES TO LIVE BY:
1) NEVER CHANGE THE STAPLE YOU CHOSE. ONCE YOU HAVE CHOSEN IT, STICK TO IT.
2) MAKE SURE YOUR STAPLE IS A SOLID PRINT OR A NEUTRAL COLOR, THIS WAY IT ALLOWS FOR EASY CREATIONS, AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STRESS OVER PATTERNS AND COLORS NOT MATCHING WITH EACH OTHER.
3) MAKE SURE YOUR STAPLE PIECE IS COMFORTABLE. IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE IN YOUR STAPLE PIECE IT PROBABLY ISN'T A GOOD CHOICE. BEING UNCOMFORTABLE RESULTS IN A BAD DAY OVERALL AND EVEN MORE STRESS WHEN TRYING TO PICK OUT AN OUTFIT FOR YOUR DAY.
MY FAVORITE 6am STAPLES:
1) LOOSE AND LONG BLACK TEE (BRANDY MELVILLE): THINK LAYERS
2) SIMPLE AND FLOWY SHIFT DRESS (BRANDY MELVILLE): THINK CHIC AND SIMPLE
3) EASY BLACK TROUSERS (BALMAIN): THINK PAJAMA LIKE FEEL BUT WITH STYLE
Step No.2: Accessorize Comfortably
Now that you've got your staple piece chosen, it's always important to add a little 'something-something' to your ensemble. Whether you're a scarf kind-of girl, or a jewelry kind-of girl, it's a necessity to make sure that your accessories are comfortable.
RULES TO LIVE BY:
1) A HEAVY STATEMENT NECKLACE IS FASHIONABLE, BUT NOT COMFORTABLE. SWAP YOUR STATEMENT NECKLACE FOR A SIMPLE SILVER CHAIN.
2) TURTLE NECKS ARE NEVER CUTE. SO INSTEAD OF BULKING UP YOUR NECK WITH AN (UGLY) BUILT IN SCARF, TRADE THE WEIGHT FOR A LIGHT PRINTED SCARF.
3) BRACELETS ARE A GOOD WAY TO ADD SOME SHIMMER TO YOUR OUTFIT. INSTEAD OF LAYERING LOTS OF SKINNY BANDS, PUT ON A CUTE BANGLE FOR LESS CHUNKINESS AND MORE COMFORT.
MY FAVORITE 6am ACCESSORIES:
1) PRETTY CHAIN (TIFFANY & CO.) THINK CLASSIC
2) POP OF BANGLE (NASTY GAL) THINK SIMPLE SHIMMER
3) EASY WEAR SCARF (FREE PEOPLE) THINK COMFY STATEMENT
Step No.3: Finish with Outerwear
Now that your inner core outfit is complete, it is always a necessity to finish off with your outer core (aka outerwear). Regardless if its warmer outside, the temperature inside school never seems to reflect the temperature outside, so it is always important to have that extra layer... just in case.
RULES TO LIVE BY:
1) WHEN CHOOSING A JACKET, STICK WITH MATERIALS SUCH AS LEATHER OR DENIM-- OTHER FABRICS SUCH AS WOOL OR COTTON SHOULD RESIDE ON YOUR BODY DURING THE COOLER SEASONS.
2) INSTEAD OF A LONG BULKY JACKET, STICK TO A SHORTER, MORE CROPPED LENGTH: THIS ALLOWS FOR SNAZZY LAYERING.
MY FAVORITE 6am OUTERWEAR PIECES:
1) A SIMPLE LEATHER JACKET (CHICNOVA): THINK STREET
2) LEATHER AND DENIM MIX (BCBGMAXAZRIA): THINK UNIQUE
3) DENIM COMFORT JACKET (ABERCROMBIE): THINK CLASSIC
So even though waking up at 6am may not be your favorite activity to partake in, with these 3 essential steps to getting ready for your day, you are sure to look stylish but stay comfortable within a matter of minutes.